Samsung Announces Its First 3G Smartwatch: The Gear S
Finally, a smartwatch Dick Tracy would use.
Recommendations are independently chosen by Reviewed’s editors. Purchases you make through our links may earn us a commission.
Last night, Samsung announced the next smartwatch in its ever-expanding Gear lineup—the Gear S. Unlike prior Gear smartwatches, the Gear S offers full 3G connectivity, allowing it to make and receive phone calls without being tethered to a smartphone.
The watch features a curved 2-inch Super AMOLED display, two-day battery life, 4GB of storage, and sensors including accelerometer, ambient light, barometer, compass, gyroscope, heart rate, and UV. The watch also has WiFi and Bluetooth radios, allowing it to connect to your now-unnecessary phone.
All of the sensors will work with Samsung's S Health service, as well as a built-in Nike+ Running app. The watch also offers walking navigation via Nokia's HERE map service, not Google Maps.
The big caveat with this new wearable is that it's running Samsung's proprietary OS, Tizen, not Android Wear. This means that the watch will not receive Android notifications, but will likely be able to receive notifications from Galaxy smartphones.
We'll have to wait and see if Samsung ever releases a variant of the Gear S running Android Wear, like it did with its last Gear smartwatch.
Samsung also released a rather bizarre-looking set of Bluetooth headphones called the Gear Circle, which magnetically connect at both ends to become a necklace when you're not using them. The in-ears also notify you of incoming calls and notifications via vibrations.
The Gear S and Gear Circle will both go on sale in October, though pricing is still a mystery.
We'll have hands-on impressions of the Gear S and Gear Circle from IFA Berlin next week, along with coverage of whatever else comes out of Samsung's annual "Unpacked" event. Keep an eye on Reviewed.com for all the details.
Check out all of Samsung's IFA 2014 Announcements:
- Samsung Unpacks New Note Phones, Co-Branded Oculus VR Headset
- Samsung's New TVs Are All About the Curves
- Samsung Demos Upscale Appliances, Elena Arzak Joins Club des Chefs
- Slim, Ruggedized Samsung Tab Active Debuts at IFA Berlin
- Samsung's New Robot Vacuum Is Your Most Humble Servant
- Samsung Flexes at IFA With a 105-inch Bendable UHD TV
- Samsung Outs a Curved Sound Bar to Match Its Curved TVs
- Samsung Adds Third-Party Support, Voice Control to Smart Home System
- Samsung UHD TVs Will Soon Stream Amazon's 4K Content
- Samsung Adds Swarovski Band to Otherwise Tasteful Gear S