ASPCA Warns Pet Owners of Detergent Pod Dangers

Kids aren't the only ones that laundry pods can harm.

By clicking one of our links you're supporting our labs and our independence, as we may earn a small share of revenue. Recommendations are separate from any business incentives.

It seems every few weeks there's a new story about the continued dangers posed by laundry detergent pods. The detergent industry is working to make them safer, but the changes can't come quick enough.

Now, as if the risks these pods pose to children weren't enough, the ASPCA has released a warning about the dangers they pose to pets. According to the news release, the pods can cause "significant upset stomach," pneumonia if vomit gets into the lungs, upper airway irritation, and eventually death.

The ASPCA adds that it receives reports of pet injury and death from laundry pod ingestion every year via the organization's Animal Poison Control Center. And of course, the organization notes that if your pet does ingest laundry pods, you should call the APCC or your veterinarian immediately.

If you're worried about Fido or your kids getting at your laundry pods, we recommend you look into safer alternatives. After all, it's not that inconvenient to use a liquid detergent instead.

The APCC can be reached 24/7 at 888-426-4435.