Shop 10 party-ready plus-size outfits for an unforgettable holiday season
Sequins and feathers and sparkles—oh my!
Recommendations are independently chosen by Reviewed’s editors. Purchases you make through our links may earn us a commission.
Everywhere you look, restaurants and shops are stringing up twinkle lights, adorning their windows and doors with ribbons, and adding festive greenery wherever it fits. You know what that means: The holidays are here. As you begin to think over your calendar for the next few weeks, you may find that you have more than a few parties on your agenda. No matter the number of events, you’ll want to make sure you have plenty of time to find a holiday outfit worthy of stepping out in.
What are we wearing?
Despite it being 2022, finding plus-size holiday outfits can still be something of a challenge—but it’s not impossible! We’ve rounded up eight plus-size holiday outfit ideas to inspire you in the weeks ahead. Happy shopping!
1. For the company holiday party
Just because there’s a party doesn’t mean you should forget about your office’s general wardrobe guidelines and suggestions. A great way to look both festive and professional is with a holiday-colored plaid blazer, like the Eloquii Bold Tweed Blazer, which is sold in sizes 14 to 28. (Psst: Did you know that red and pink are proving to be one of the holiday’s hottest color combos this year? It’s all over Instagram and TikTok.)
While you could absolutely pair your blazer with a matching mini skirt, for a more office-appropriate ‘fit, consider a high-rise fitted flare, like the Spanx Hi-Rise Flare The Perfect Pant, which is sold in regular, petite, and tall sizes XS to 3X in black and navy colorways. The front-seam flares elongate the appearance of the legs while the stretchy fabric hugs curves for a tailored look that feels as cozy as your pajamas.
Next, shoes! With flares, pumps are your best friend, and the Naturalizer Callie Loafer Pump, which is sold in medium and wide sizes 6 to 12, is a great choice given its block heel and on-trend chunky loafer style. Whatever you do, don’t forget to accessorize! A shimmer clutch-crossbody, like the Anthropologie Frankie Clutch in Pink or Gold, and a sparkly tennis bracelet, like the Kendra Scott Carmen Gold Tennis Bracelet in Ruby or Emerald Mix, will add a hint of glam while still keeping your overall look more refined.
- Get the Carmen Gold Tennis Bracelet for $90 at Kendra Scott
- Get the Frankie Clutch for $80 at Anthropologie
- Get the Naturalizer Callie Loafer Pump for $125 at Nordstrom
- Get the Bold Tweed Blazer for $159.95 at Eloquii
- Get the Hi-Rise Flare The Perfect Pant for $168 at Spanx
2. For the family get together
Spending time with family doesn’t require getting as dolled up. As such, you can plan for a casual and comfy holiday outfit. It’s as simple as pairing a holiday sweater, like the Lane Bryant Classic Button-Front Fair Isle Cardigan (available in regular and long fits and sizes 10/12 to 26/28), with a pair of dark denim, like the Good American Power Stretch Pull-On Flares (available in sizes XS to 3X in both light and dark washes). By opting for a darker wash, you’ll be able to slightly elevate your overall casual look, which is always a good idea when holiday photos could be snapped at any moment.
For an unexpected shoe pairing, go with a white bootie, like the Chinese Laundry Danica Casual Bootie, available in sizes 5 to 11. Yes, you can wear white shoes after Labor Day—we promise.
To complete your ensemble, top off your casual ‘fit with a trendy teddy coat, like the Old Navy Long Double-Breasted Sherpa Coat, available in cream and brown in sizes XS to 4X—and a classic crossbody bag, like the Coach Cassie Crossbody 19.
- Get the Classic Button-Front Fair Isle Cardigan for $79.95 at Lane Bryant
- Get the Power Stretch Pull-On Flares for $89 at Good American
- Get the Long Double-Breasted Sherpa Coat for $99.99 at Old Navy
- Get the Danica Casual Bootie for $119.95 at Chinese Laundry
- Get the Cassie Crossbody 19 for $295 at Coach
3. For the friends’ holiday party
Celebrating with friends is another time when you don’t have to get totally glammed up. For your group’s much-anticipated White Elephant party, consider a fun, festive sweater, wide-leg pants, and a trendy Mary Jane pump to give it a little pizazz. Instead of buying an argyle sweater like everyone else, take the cheeky route with Target’s A New Day Women’s Crewneck Sweater Weather Sweater. The pink and red crewneck sweater is made with the softest recycled polyester and looks particularly great when worn with a French tuck. It’s available in sizes XS to 4X.
Pair it with a high-waisted, wide-leg trouser, like the cult-favorite Ripley Rader Black Ponte Knit Wide Leg Pant, available in sizes XS to 3X, for an incredibly cozy but totally put-together end look. But don’t stop there. Tie your look together with a pair of cute holiday earrings—we love the Baublebar Shiny Nose Earrings, and a head-turning handbag like the Olga Berg Penny Feathered Frame Bag. Two words: Picture perfect!
- Get the A New Day Women’s Crewneck Sweater Weather Sweater for $30 at Target
- Get the Shiny Nose Earrings for $48 at Baublebar
- Get the Olga Berg Penny Feathered Frame Bag for $115 at Revolve
- Get the Black Ponte Knit Wide Leg Pant for $178 at Ripley Rader
4. For the cocktail-themed holiday party
Headed out for a cocktail soiree this holiday season? Skip the little black dress and consider a green velvet one instead. The Eloquii Velvet Mini Dress with Wrap Skirt is drop-dead gorgeous and available in sizes 14 to 28. Since the dress is your statement piece, let it shine by pairing it with subtle-yet-chic accessories. The Journee Collection Tanzi Pump—available in five colors in sizes 6 to 12—looks like a classic pointed-toe pump from the front but features a feminine satin bow detail on the back, perfect for gift-giving season.
Sticking to the gifting theme, the Kate Spade Pavé Present Drop Earrings are sure to turn heads as you walk through the room. To complete your chic cocktail-themed look, ditch your regular purse and grab a little black clutch, like Lulu’s Never Been So Chic Black Satin Knotted Clutch, which can easily hold your phone, wallet, keys, lipstick, and more.
Finally, if you’re worried about being cold on your night out, know that you can always layer your dress over a pair of sheer tights—the Sheertex Classic Sheer Rip-Resist Tights are the best of the best.
- Get the Never Been So Chic Black Satin Knotted Clutch for $38 at Lulu’s
- Get the Classic Sheer Rip-Resist Tights for $59 at Sheertex
- Get the Journee Collection Tanzi Pump for $59.99 at DSW
- Get the Pavé Present Drop Earrings for $98 at Kate Spade
- Get the Velvet Mini Dress with Wrap Skirt for $99.95 at Eloquii
5. For the minimalist party-goer
Hoping to look festive without wearing a bunch of color? The season’s beloved feather-trimmed sets will keep you on trend. J.Crew embodies the part Hollywood glamour, part cozy loungewear look with its Feather-Trim Shirt in Drapey Crepe and Ingrid Pant With Feather Trim in Satin-Back Crepe. Although you might think the ensemble looks like fancy pajamas, know that women everywhere are donning the statement-making set for an Insta-worthy night out.
Since the goal here is to let the feathers stand out, pair the set with simple-yet-chic black pumps, like the Chinese Laundry Sumter Mule Pump, available in sizes 5.5 to 11, and a beaded clutch, like the Kelly & Katie Staci Wristlet, for a touch of subtle flair.
- Get the Kelly & Katie Staci Wristlet for $34.99 at DSW
- Get the Sumter Mule Pump for $79.95 at Chinese Laundry
- Get the Feather-Trim Shirt in Drapey Crepe for $298 at J.Crew
- Get the Ingrid Pant With Feather Trim in Satin-Back Crepe for $348 at J.Crew
6. For the maximalist party-goer
Prefer to go all out with your style? You’re not alone! Maximal home design and dressing have been on the rise in 2022. To rock a maximalist holiday ‘fit this season, you’ll want to mix and match colors, textures, and prints in a way that just works. One way to do so is to start with a maximalist dress, like the Eloquii Dolman Sleeve Sequin Dress, which is sold in gold and black in sizes 14 to 28.
To complete the look, step into a pair of strappy sandals—we love the Sam Edelman Leon Ankle Strap Sandal, which is sold in five colors, including a great Grinchy green shade called Ochre—and put on a pair of statement earrings, like the beautiful Lele Sadoughi Jet Bow Drop Earrings. To ensure your dangly earrings are on full display, pull your hair back into a chignon or sleek bun and adorn it with sparkly pins (Anthropologie has a great Set of Eight Pearl and Diamond Bobby Pins).
Complete your look with a classic quilted bag — Chanel if you’ve got it, but the Asos Design Diamond Quilted Crossbody with Lock Detail and Adjustable Shoulder Strap works, too.
- Get the Asos Design Diamond Quilted Crossbody with Lock Detail and Adjustable Shoulder Strap in Black for $26 at Asos
- Get the Set of Eight Pearl and Diamond Bobby Pins for $28 at Anthropologie
- Get the Dolman Sleeve Sequin Dress for $129.95 at Eloquii
- Get the Jet Bow Drop Earrings for $145 at Lele Sadoughi
- Get the Sam Edelman Leon Ankle Strap Sandal for $150 at Nordstrom
7. For the Gen Z party-goer
Gen Z loves a matching set almost as much as they love sequins, which means the Asos Edition Curve Sequin Oversized Blazer and matching Mini Skirt is a no-brainer this holiday season. Shop the set in women’s sizes 12 to 26.
Another trend Gen Z can’t get enough of? Sheer socks with heels. Opt for a pair of statement socks—the Sock Candy Pearls & Jewels Black Sheer Ankle Sock are so fun—and strap on some chunky platform Mary Janes. The Circus by Sam Edelman Women's Kay Mary Jane Platform Pumps are sold in five colors in sizes 5 to 11.
Don’t forget a bag! Gen Z swoons over baguette silhouettes and the JW Pei Women's Gabbi Ruched Hobo Handbag, available in 15 colors, is a cult favorite among young shoppers thanks to the trendy design and more affordable price.
- Get the Pearls & Jewels Black Sheer Ankle Sock for $18 at Sock Candy
- Get the Asos Edition Curve Sequin Mini Skirt for $79 at Asos
- Get the Circus by Sam Edelman Women's Kay Mary Jane Platform Pumps for $89 at Macy’s
- Get the Women's Gabbi Ruched Hobo Handbag for $89 at JW Pei
- Get the Asos Edition Curve Sequin Oversized Blazer for $200 at Asos
8. For the mature party-goer
Hoping to get dressed up for the holidays without showing quite as much skin, balancing on high heels, or trying to fit all your belongings in a smaller clutch-sized purse? More mature holiday outfits can be had without sacrificing style! Stay warm and fashion-forward at your holiday party by pairing a pair of plaid trousers, like the J.Crew Full-Length Kate Straight-Leg Pant in Good Tidings Plaid Wool (available in classic, petite, and tall sizes 00 to 24), with a coordinating sweater like the Eloquii Mock Neck Cropped Sweater With Fur Detail, which is available in sizes 14/16 to 26/28.
Once you have your base put together, accessorize it with low formal heels, like the gorgeous and comfortable Sam Edelman Thalia Buckle Pump—sold in three colors in sizes 7 to 10—and simple-yet-stunning stud earrings. You’ll be able to wear the Kate Spade Sailor's Knot Drop Studs long after the holidays are over.
To ensure you have plenty of room for your holiday essentials, consider a multi-compartment shoulder bag, like the Radley London Dukes Place Multi-Compartment Leather Bag, which is available in nine colors—it’s a personal favorite. The purse has an adjustable strap and three main compartments. In one snap-top compartment, you’ll find a zippered side pocket, while the other has two side slip pockets. Suffice to say, you’ll feel very organized wherever your holiday night out takes you.
- Get the Sailor's Knot Drop Studs for $49 at Kate Spade
- Get the Mock Neck Cropped Sweater With Fur Detail for $84.95 at Eloquii
- Get the Sam Edelman Thalia Buckle Pump for $150 at Nordstrom
- Get the Full-length Kate straight-leg pant in Good Tidings plaid wool for $178 at J.Crew
- Get the Radley London Dukes Place Multi-Compartment Leather Bag for $206.10 at Amazon
Get deals and shopping advice delivered straight to your phone. Sign up for text message alerts from the experts at Reviewed. The product experts at Reviewed have all your shopping needs covered. Follow Reviewed on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, or Flipboard for the latest deals, product reviews, and more.
Prices were accurate at the time this article was published but may change over time.