Column fridges are trending—should you have one?
Redefining tall, dark, and handsome
Recommendations are independently chosen by Reviewed’s editors. Purchases you make through our links may earn us a commission.
Column fridges have mostly been relegated to the kitchens of particularly design-savvy folks or wine connoisseurs, but with the launch of Samsung’s Bespoke line-up, customized fridges have been trending more towards the mainstream recently.
Over the last few years, these single-unit specialty columns have been on the rise in popularity among general consumers, especially those who have saved money from not vacationing during the pandemic and decided to renovate their kitchens, instead.
What is a column fridge?
Unlike French-door, side-by-side, or bottom-freezer fridges where refrigeration and freezing components are part of the same unit, column refrigerators—or refrigerator columns as they're also called—are single-purpose units that either cool or freeze.
Column fridges are typically built-in, but there are some on the market that are freestanding. They also come in standard widths like 18-inch, 24-inch, 30-inch, and 36-inch. You can choose to install units next to each other or at different places within your kitchen.
The latest and greatest column fridges
Samsung has been at the forefront of customized fridges since its Bespoke line-up launched in 2021. These fridges allow users to customize their front panels with a wide range of different finishes you can mix and match. While most of these fridge options are full-size, they do offer a few column fridges that take advantage of Bespoke customization.
Electrolux offers a single-door refrigerator that sports a smoky interior and state-of-the-features like TasteLock smart crispers technology and LuxCool cooling system.
And, in a pivot from the professional-style gas ranges it’s known for, luxury heritage brand BlueStar now has a line of commercial-style column fridges and freezers that can fully integrate into your cabinets or, say, match the exact color of your Benjamin Moore wall paint over stainless steel.
Other column fridge options for the kitchen innovator
- Samsung Bespoke RZ11T747441 at AJ Madison for $998.60
- Frigidaire Professional Single Door at AJ Madison for $3,323.10
- Miele PerfectCool KS37472ID at AJ Madison for $3,549
- Electrolux EI33AR80WS at AJ Madison for $3,999
- Fisher Paykel Counter-depth Refrigerator Column at Appliances Connection for $6,299
- Liebherr Monolith Series Smart Counter-depth Refrigerator Column for $6,699
- JennAir Panel Ready Built-in Smart Refrigerator Column at AJ Madison for $6,999
- JennAir JBRFR36IGX at AJ Madison for $7,999
- Monogram Panel Ready Smart Refrigerator Column at AJ Madison for $8,300
- Dacor Modernist Column Refrigerator at Appliances Connection for $8,398
Prices were accurate at the time this article was published but may change over time.