Frigidaire Gallery FG4H2272UF Refrigerator Review
This is an affordable French door with some high-class features
Once in a while, you come across an appliance that has it all: beauty, brawn, and value. The Frigidaire Gallery FG4H2272UF (available at AppliancesConnection for $2,493.00) is one such fridge. As a French-door model, the FG4H272UF is quite affordable while still offering superior storage space and nifty features like an adjustable deli drawer that can also double as a wine chiller or freezer. Theatrics aside, the FG4H2272UF showed us it's a workhorse as well, boasting above-average performance in keeping a consistent temperature and humidity retention.
About this fridge
• Dimensions: 70"x 29 5/8"x 36" (HxDxW)
• Counter-depth: Yes!
• Usable space: With all the shelves in, we measured 13.41 cu. ft. of usable space in the fridge and freezer.
• Dispensers: In-door water and ice dispensers.
What we like
• Keeping cold: While the Frigidaire Gallery FG4H2272UF provides a high-end feel, it doesn't skimp out on the basics. Our instruments spent the better part of a week recording the temperature and humidity. Typically, your fridge should be set around 37°F. The FG4H2272UF had an average temperature of 37.45°F and never ventured more than 2.5°F off the mark. If you've ever felt like your milk seemingly spoils at random, having a fridge that rates high on consistency will help alleviate the problem.
• Crisper drawers: A high level of consistency also helps with moisture retention in produce. When a fridge bounces between temperatures it causes vegetables, especially leafy greens, to "sweat." The result is either mushy spinach or chalky cucumbers. The FG4H2227UF, in addition to having good compressors, also has Auto CrispSeal drawers. It's a fancy way to say this fridge has crisper drawers you don't have to adjust. Our testing showed they worked well. Sensors we put in there measured a 2.3-gram loss of moisture per day, which means your salad will last longer compared to other fridges in this price range.
• Design: The FG4H2272UF is for someone who likes good design but doesn't care about brand names. Frigidaire does not have the same cache as some other manufacturers and for a long time was more associated with more entry-level models. The front is a very clean stainless that's also smudge proof. However, the stainless steel front is magnetic so you can clutter it up with your kid's artwork and schedules.
We also like the versatility of the deli drawer. Usually, when we see these they're designed to be extra fridge space, a place to put platters and snacks. The FG4H2272UF can do all that and be turned into extra freezer space. During testing, our sensors recorded temperatures well below zero, making it safe enough to store meats for a deep freeze.
What we did not like
• The freezer: As far freezers go, the FG4H2272UF has a pretty average one. Since most everything else on the fridge is stellar, the middle-of-the-road scores on the freezer stood out. First, the freezer's temperature consistency left something to be desired. We set it to 0°F and it bounced between 0 and -7°F. Being too cold did help with the freezing test, with a container of liquid water turning rock solid in only 57 minutes.
Aside from the average performance, we think the storage is cramped. Considering the thick plastic divider and the bins, we calculated the interior space to be about 3.3 cu. ft., which is not quite to our liking. Fridges like the Samsung RF23J9011SR have almost double the freezer space while still being a counter-depth model.
What users are saying
At the time of writing this review, there were less than 50 user reviews on major sites like AJ Madison or Appliance Connection. What is out there is overwhelmingly positive. Users are talking about how much they like how smooth the drawers are and the attractiveness of the exterior.
Should I buy this fridge?
If you're looking for a French door fridge that's counter depth and under $3,000, this is the one to get. The Frigidaire Gallery FG4H2272UF ranks in the top 5 percent of all the fridges we've ever tested. It has an uncanny ability for food preservation, able to keep a steady temperature hour after hour. We also can't deny that it has an excellent design. It might not be a Sub-Zero or a Viking, but this fridge will add a touch of class to your kitchen while not letting your milk spoil early.
Get Our Newsletter
Real advice from real experts. Sign up for our newsletter
Thanks for signing up!